Ample Scope for B.Sc Agricultural Graduates
Agriculture is defined as an art and science of producing crops and livestock. Seen from the two different perspectives, it has two different approaches. As an art, it embraces knowledge and skills of the way to perform the operations of the agricultural production in a skillful manner. However, it does not necessarily include the understanding of the scientific principles underlying the farm practices. On the other hand, as a science, it utilizes all the scientific principles and technologies for various factors such as crop breeding, new crops, development by hybridization, water management, use of bio-control agents to combat pest, etc.
The scope of agriculture is very wide, since it includes various areas of topics like horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming and livestock breeding, etc. keeping the use of land and woodland for the agricultural purposes. Some of the basic branches of agriculture that covers all the topics are as follow:
- Agronomy: This branch deals with the production of various crops which includes food crops, fibre crops, fodder crops, sugar, etc. The basic aim of this branch is to have better food production and the ways to control the diseases.
- Horticulture: This branch deals with the production of fruits, vegetables, flowers, spices, ornamental plants, etc.
- Animal husbandry: This branch deals with agricultural practice of breeding and raising livestock in order to provide food for humans, and to maintain the growth and production of crops.
- Fishery science: This branch deals with the practice of breeding and rearing fishes including marine and inland fishes, shrimps, etc, and to maintain the production of food.
- Agricultural engineering: This branch deals with farm machinery and equipments that are used for field preparation, cultivation, harvesting, post-harvesting processes which includes water and soil conservation engineering and bio-energy conservation.
- Forestry: This branch deals with the production of large scale cultivation of trees for the supply of wood, timber, rubber, etc.
B.Sc agriculture colleges in Uttar Pradesh offer quality education to the aspiring students. The institutes include all the subjects in this particular stream and the topics are designed basically focusing on the idea that the theoretical aspects are to be applied into the practical field. For instance: Agronomy is the agricultural science that practices agriculture from an integrated and holistic perspective. The theory is to apply science and technology in order to boost the quality and yield of crops, and also to solve problems with pests along with the waste and resource management. An agronomist is trained to produce and improve food crops. They are also guided to develop innovative farm practices and technologies.
Candidates who passed 10+2 in science are eligible for the course. Those seeking admission in B.Sc agriculture colleges in UP must score minimum of required percentage in their 12th grade, followed by other fixed norms.